Monday 25 October 2010

Post Analysis Reflection

Post Analysis Reflection
Films Trailers
Twilight
Initially I chose to analyse this trailer because I have an admiration for the dark yet beautiful nature of mise-en-scene within gothic films. Since watching this trailer repeatedly, my appreciation for this genre has blossomed. What truly inspired me was the way in which the trailer successfully encapsulated the over-whelming emotion felt between the two characters. Within minutes, the trailer embraces and transpires the feeling straight through screen, allowing the audiences to experience it too. This is exactly what I will strive to create, something that will make the audiences stomachs flutter with excitement, tension and fear!
Paranormal Activity
From analysing “Paranormal Activity” I developed a greater understanding of the way in which contemporary supernatural horrors are made and the way in which they are growing and advancing. From this analysis, I discovered the ways that I can create a frightening effect with uses of editing. I admire the elements this trailer uses in order to tickle and torment audiences through its vicious tastes of terror and I have definitely taken these aspects on board. However, analysing this trailer did make me realise that this was not the type of supernatural horror I wanted create, as I am better suited to softer and more sensitive styles of film.
The Others
This is the trailer that convinced me that I CAN create a supernatural horror set in the 1940’s! Not only has it helped me build on my understanding of combining elements of mise-en-scene to create the authentic look, but how to make it contain an eeriness also.
Changeling
I have drawn a huge amount of inspiration from the film and the elements of mise-en-scene embody the aesthetics in which I intend to apply within my own trailer. I cannot stress enough my adoration for the past eras and this film so beautifully and elegantly encapsulates the late 1920’s, causing me to experience an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia!
I’ve always had an appreciation for the mise-en-scene of films from by-gone eras and ‘Changeling’ is by far one of the most inspirational films I have ever seen. The trailer also  manages to successfully capture the sheer emotion and distressing storyline within the two minute trailer so perfectly, that I aspire to do the same within my own work.

Film Posters
By analysing both the film trailer and film poster of this film, I have learnt more about the continuity created and the symbiotic relationship in which two different pieces of media establish.
I have learnt that, the image used for the poster must be an image which is shown at some point during the trailer and that the same hues of colour must be used, accompanied by similar elements of mise-en-scene, camera shots/angles and lighting.
Magazine Front Covers
As part of the front cover analysis I assessed two mainstream magazines and one independent publication. I appreciated the simplicity of “Cinema Retro” and their avoidance of cluttering the page. I think it creates a much more sophisticated and tidy appearance of the front cover as oppose to the overload of information often found on publications such as “Empire”. I like how “Total Film” combines the two, for instance, they do display a lot of information but with the front cover I analysed, it still maintained a minimalistic form. I intend to create a publication that instils a plain white background, so that the image and text can receive the full attention of the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment