Monday 25 October 2010

Ideas for Front Cover of Film Magazine

My film consists of a predominantly female target audience and the majority of film magazines are specifically male orientated. This poses the difficulty of plausibility; realistically a man would not be interested in buying a magazine that features my film. This post sees the formation of my thought process...
I did consider creating a retro film magazine to keep in theme with the time frame of my narrative. It would be a magazine of the modern day that features old films, but then why would a retro film magazine feature a film that has been produced recently? Although the idea was endearing, it was however not plausible.
Next I considered creating a film magazine that was specifically aimed at female fans of film. Although this seems like the simplest and easiest solution, there are no existing texts out there to compare it with. Also, the target audience of the magazine is extremely vague and difficult to make generalisations about, which is presumably the reason why no such genre of magazine exists.
Then came along the idea of creating a film magazine that is aimed at fans of the supernatural, but I was concerned that it would classify my target audience as being these obscure, whimsical and spiritual beings. I didn’t want to portray this type of audience as a bunch of horoscope reading, incense-smelling, ‘mystic megs’.
Back to step one and using a conventional male orientated film magazine; I considered how I could portray the film in a light that would appeal to a man. What other way but to sex-up the image of my protagonist! In order to do this I had to integrate it into my narrative. This is where the idea for the protagonist having to seduce the antagonist originated.
I was also thinking about incorporating a Halloween-theme into the front cover of the magazine, making the theme of the week a ‘Supernatural Horror Special’.

No comments:

Post a Comment