Sunday 24 October 2010

Why the 1940's?


Whenever I am given a project within a creative subject, I always try to integrate a passion of mine into my work. This makes the project more honest, personal and it ultimately reflects that I have enjoyed the process. By introducing the idea of setting my narrative in a different time frame (and an era in which I have always had an admiration for) I feel as if I have made this project even more enjoyable.

From a young age I was inspired by the style and etiquette of previous decades, relishing in the music, books and films about the past, dedicating a lot of my time to learn more about the development of fashion and culture throughout the 1900’s. Throughout my life I have gone through different phases of obsessions with different periods in time. I do believe what started the attraction was the release of 1997’s historical romance film, ‘Titanic’. Even at a young age, I was able to appreciate the beautiful uses of mise-en-scene and the exquisite yet tragic reflection of the year 1912.



Watching films that are set in the past seems to trigger a fascination within me, leaving me to become mesmerized by that particular period in time. To name a few, the movie ‘Factory Girl’ inspired my awareness of the 1960’s art-scene as it follows the rise and fall of socialite Edie Sedgwick, who was famous for being Andy Warhol’s muse. I was stunned by the real Edie’s beauty and the creative scene in which she existed; she now stands as one of my idols of the swinging sixties. Director James Mangold’s 2006 film ‘Walk the Line’ sparked my attraction to 1950’s music. By the age of fourteen I was already listening to the likes Johnny Cash, June Carter, Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra. My most recent fascination has been placed upon the pop and cultural icon, Marilyn Monroe. I idolize her and her picture of pure perfection. Last summer I read “The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe” by J Randy Taraborrelli whilst also watching “Gentleman Prefer Blondes”, “Don’t Bother Knock” and “How to Marry a Millionaire”, admiring her youthful radiance and cutsie 1950’s attire.

"Factory Girl" starring Sienna Miller.
The real Edie Sedgwick.

Movie Poster for "Walk the line"






What truly kindled my admiration for the 1940’s, was watching director Michael Bay’s “Pearl Harbour” in a history class one afternoon. Everyone else was so consumed within the enthralling scenes of action, whilst I was more captivated by timeless fashion of the female characters! I longed for the action scenes to end, just so I could admire the beauty, grace and elegance of Kate Beckinsale in the 1940’s chic. I remember going home that day feeling so inspired and searching YouTube for tutorials on how to achieve the classic war-time look. Other films such as “Atonement”, “Changeling”, “The Edge of Love”, “Dorian Gray”, “The Others”, “Aviator”, “The Notebook”, “Coco Before Chanel” have all further cultivated my passion for past eras.

Kate Beckinsale in "Pearl Harbour".
Peers and mentors assume that setting my narrative in a different time frame will pose difficulties. I agree that parts may be challenging but I am confident that I can create the accurate mise-en-scene. I am always on the hunt for vintage clothing and antique furniture. So, reconstructing the setting with the right props shouldn’t be a problem for me at all. I’m so old fashioned; I even had my room re-decorated to resemble that of a past era!

 Here I shall exhibit examples of my previous work in order to prove that I can achieve the old fashion look. As part of my art work last year I chose to base my project on ‘Woman Throughout Time’ which meant I had to choose suitable models, style them according to the era, document the process by photographing them and then draw from the images. Whilst looking at the images, I would like you to take into consideration that they were constructed over a year ago and since then, my knowledge has expanded and what I shall produce this year will be of a much higher standard.
To conclude, I feel as if I have successfully established where in which my admiration had blossomed and that I am able to achieve the correct appearances. I have so far and will continue to channel all of my knowledge and creativity into this course and come out with only the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment